1. Pick a day of the week to start your pampering regimen. I usually do my regimen onFridays, but any day that fits your schedule is fine. Shampoo and condition your hair with your desired products. There are specific products to fit your hair’s needs. I shampoo with Shea Moisture’s Organic Raw Shea Butter Moisture Retention Shampoo. It is formulated for dry, damaged hair. I use this one because the humidity tends to drawmoisture from my hair. The others also have essential nutrients that will help your hair as well. I begin shampooing my hair with warm water. Warm water opens your hair follicles and allows the moisture to cling to the hair strands.
2. Then apply your conditioner. I use Shea Moisture’s Restorative Conditioner. I detangle my hair as I apply the conditioner. Finger comb through the hair while detangling. This way you will feel the snags and will not break your hair like you would if you were using a detangling comb or brush. Then go in with your detangling brush. Twist each section with conditioner as you detangle. Once your whole head is detangled, rinse your hair again in luke warm water, leaving your twists in.
3. Then add a deep conditioner of your choice. I use Shea Moisture’s Deep Treatment Masque. You can leave it in your hair from 45 minutes to overnight depending on how much time you have and what your hair needs. As you rinse your hair with luke warm water take down your twist
5. I take each section and apply these products: Shea Moisture Thickening Moisture Mist to the scalp and massage in. Coconut oil in a squeeze bottle with tip (melted) to the scalp and massage and then add (small amount) Shea Moisture Curl Enhancing Smoothie or (small amount) Twisty Locs by HPO found online and at Whole Foods. Last, put Coconut Oil on the hair to seal in the moisture. Make sure you concentrate on putting the products on the ends of your hair because it is the oldest and needs the most care.
7. Tip: Pin your twist at the root to train your hair. You will notice as new growth comes that it will be a small puff and then a twist. Avoid the puff by pinning down the twist at the root. Cover your hair with a satin cap or scarf.
9. I retwist my hair at night for a fresh look in the morning and to preserve the curl pattern. If you add product your hair will remain moist and stay in a shrunken state.If you do not add product you will elongate your hair. This will cause your hair to dry out faster. For this reason a cowash will be in order (Tuesday). For rewetting I have a special spray bottle that has: Shea Moisture’s Thickening Moisture Mist, Jojoba Oil, Coconut Oil, Olive Oil, & Glycerin.
10. I cowash (no shampoo/conditioner only) my hair with the Shea Moisture Organic Raw Shea Butter Restorative Conditioner. I moisturize and pamper my hair again, twist in the desired style, and untwist in the morning.
I love hair accessories. So, I jazz up my hair as much as possible with bows, flowers, ribbon, pins, etc. It can be quite fun!
Love Yourself, Embrace Your Curls, and Spread Some SunShine! xoxo ~Sun
Note: This was my regimen when I first went natural. Now that I better understand my hair, many of the items I do not use anymore. Glycerin is one of those items. I noticed that when I used it, my hair was much more frizzy like many of the pictures you see throughout the regimen. Glycerin for some naturals like myself draws out too much moisture. Stay tuned for my updated regimen.